Thursday, April 28, 2011

On Impulse

Making the Scene
Thursday, April 28, 2011.

Impulses it seems to me stem from an intuitive or instinctive connection we are experiencing in the moment that can lead to the full expression of that experience when we commit to them fully. But what does that mean? I don't know what it means nor can I tell you what that should mean for you or anyone else for that matter, if "meaning" is the result you're after. But I do know that following through with an impulse will move you away from a place a safeness to a place ripe with creative possibilities. I do know that when an actor takes a risk and follows through with his impulses he not only elevates the scene from a sheet of paper with run-on dialogue and obvious stage directions to a plane where anything can happen but he also takes the other actor working with him and the audience on that ride. I do know that the best thing that can happen in a scene is the least expected thing to happen in a scene but is inherent in every scene and cannot be found anywhere in the text or stage directions.

So why are we afraid of our impulses? Well, the obvious reason is that they lead us into trouble.

Trouble. Trouble. Trouble.

I like trouble. I welcome trouble. Get into trouble and deal.

See you next week.
Paolo.

No comments:

Post a Comment